VEGAN BOERENKOOL STAMPOT
Stampot is something typically Dutch. It has many variants and is mainly eaten during the cold winter days. In the past I never really liked it, but over the years I have started to love it more and more. One of my favorite is boerenkool stampot (kale stamp), and fortunately this dish can also be made vegan.
Vegan kale stampot
Boerenkool stampot is super easy to make and delicious now that it is almost freezing at night in the Netherlands. Traditionally, this dish is made with a smoked sausage, but I have not heard many positive comments about the vegan version of this sausage. That’s why I prefer to make it with lightly spiced chickpeas. My boyfriend is also crazy about it!
What do you need for two people
- 150 grams of kale
- 300 grams of crumbly potatoes
- 2 red onions
- one clove of garlic
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1.5 tsp of paprika
- 1/8 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp of soy milk
- salt and pepper
How to make the boerenkool stampot
- Press the garlic. Drain the chickpeas and put them in a bowl. Add the paprika powder, chili flakes, plenty of salt and pepper and about 1/4 of the garlic. Stir well and let stand for a while.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into pieces. Put them in a large pan, with the kale on top. Fill the pan with a lot of water and bring it to boil. Then let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the onion.
- When the kale is boiling for about five minutes you can prepare the chickpeas in another pan. Fry the onions and garlic on high heat in some oil for two minutes. Then add the chickpeas and cook for another 5 minutes on high heat and then for another 2 minutes on low heat.
- If the kale has boiled for 15 minutes, you can drain the cooking liquid and puree the kale with a pestle or a hand blender. Add the soy milk and mix well.
- Put the kale in two deep plates and place on top of the chickpeas and onions. Ready to eat! Tasty.
Let me know if you made this recipe and if you liked it. Especially if your not Dutch I am super curious if you loved the boerenkool stampot! 🖤
Lots of love,